[Ansteorra-archery] corkscrews...

LD.BLACKMOON ld.blackmoon at gbronline.com
Sun Dec 14 20:26:43 PST 2003

GREETINGS

THIS WAS MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT MAKING EITHER ARROWS OR BOLTS, THE ARROWS SEEM
TO BE PERFECT , THE BOLTS FAR FROM IT ...

>What spine weight (hopefully 35/40# or higher)?
THE ARROWS WERE FROM MY 50# BOW.
TIPS ARE  11/32 " AND 125 GR.

>Were they straight?
CLOSE IF NOT STRAIGHT

>Have any nicks/splits in the wood?
NOPE

>How long?
14 " TO THE BACK OF THE ARROW HEAD.

> Sealed?
PROBABLY B4 I SANDED THE SHAFTS TO MAKE SURE THEY WERE SMOOTH.

>What materal?
LET ME THINK.....*wink*

>Spiral or straight,
I ONLY HAVE A STRAIGHT JIG .

>what degree of off-set from front to back
FROM BACK OF HEAD TO FRONT OF FLETCH = 8.5 "
FROM BACK OF BOLT TO BACK OF FLETCH = 1  5/8  "

>Just to make sure I got it right, you are talking about a large looping
motion going to the target. Not a nice tight spiral.
OH YEA , STICKING INTO TARGETS AT EVERY WHICH ANGLE .
BACK OF BOLT DANCING SOME NEW FANGLED DANCE .

>definitely never go under 14" and some say 20" is "ideal".

I HAD NO IDEA, THE BOLTS THAT CAME WITH IT ( I INHERITED IT ) WERE  12 "
LONG
I ONLY EXTENDED THEM A LITTLE SO I MIGHT BE ABLE TO FIND THEM IN THE HAY
BALES .
GUESS AS SOON AS I CAN AFFORD IT , I NEED TO GET ME SOME  21 " SHAFTS ...

>How thick is your string?
COUNTING THE SERVING  = 1/4 "

>Is it at least 1/2 the thickness of your bolt?
YES , CLOSE TO SAME SIZE , BOLT IS ONLY A LITTLE BIT BIGGER .

>Are you using a peg style crosbow?
HUH ???

I'VE GOT A ROLLING BLOCK , WITH A VEE GROOVE DOWN THE TOP , I JUST PUSH THE
ARROW BACK TO THE STRING .

> Is the bolt at the right spot to get  pushed forward by the string?
YES

>Are you cocking evenly
AS FAR AS I KNOW. THE PROD WAS A BIT LOOSE THIS PAST SUMMER IN THE HEAT, NOW
THAT THE WEATHER IS COOLER , IT'S ALL TIGHT AGAIN .

B4 YOU ASK , IT APPEARS TO HAVE 6 TWISTED STRANDS OF LINEN  GOING THRU A
HOLE IN THE STOCK, AND WRAPPING AROUND THE PROD AND A PIECE OF WOOD ON BOTH
SIDES OF THE STOCK , THIS IS WRAPPED ON ONE SIDE BY WHAT APPEARS TO BE SINEW
.

THANX

BE SAFE, BE HAPPY , HAVE FUN
LD.BLACKMOON