[Ansteorra-archery] Bow String Material

Sluggy! slugmusk at linuxlegend.com
Wed Jul 9 21:56:58 PDT 2003

David Ruff wrote:

>If you are not trying to go complete period, use the
>modern archery string to make your strings.

I would agree. The Dacron is really easy to work with and it's quite a
bit stronger by weight than the linen, which means you can make a
lighter string and thus have a faster, flatter shooting bow with the
same draw weight. In tan or white, it's tough to tell Dacron from linen
without fraying it out and melting it.

>I have seen hemp and linen used as strings but i
>question how safe it is. Not to mention the weather
>plays HAVOC with it.

The Traditional Bowyers Bible leans towards linen as the ideal
traditional bowstring material; it's strong, lightweight and enduring.
The important thing weather-wise is to keep it well waxed, but not
over-waxed.

The book shows several examples of cotton, gut, rawhide, hemp, linen and
synthetic strings. Pound for pound, synthetics and linen seem to be
favored. They steer you away from nylon, sisal, jute, silk and other
such fibers primarily due to the amount of stretch they experience

>Not sure if you have ever seen a bow string break but
>its usually a shocking experiance and not one i wanna
>be next to.

I had a 70# compound bowstring break at full draw. That'll give you
religion. Note to all: Keep that string WELL waxed....

Sluggy!

--

Never attribute to malice that which can
be adequately explained by ignorance.