[Ansteorra-archery] Bowman Tournaments

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Thu Jun 12 06:15:03 PDT 2003

Bob Dewart (gilli at hot.rr.com) said something that sounded like:
> Archers ranked at Bowman or below have the same chance as a fighter of that
> skill level defeating  (fill in the name of the Knight or Don of your
> choice).  My point is these folks have spent much time and effort to attain
> their skill.  And so must those, in most cases, who would be victorious over
> them in a head to head or even just a high score.

Yes, and something we don't see as often on the fighting field anymore
is "Newbie" tourneys. In the past these were quite popular and you'd see
one about every month. These were tournaments that only new fighters
could enter. This generally meant that they had been fighting less than
a year.

Why are these a good thing? They encourage new fighters to not quit. If
every time you enter a tournament you are taken out the first or second
round, (depending on single or double elim) then you are likely to give
up in frustration instead of putting more effort into it.

Yes hard competition is good, but to keep people around you have to let
them win every now and then. Any good trainer on the fighting field
allows the new fighter to land a killing shot every now and then.

> Archery is a perishable skill.  If you don't shoot, well we know what
> happens.

As is true with fighting.

Ciao,

--
Phelim "Pug" Gervase   |  "We have a constitutional right to make
Bryn Gwlad - Ansteorra |   fools of ourself."