[Ansteorra-archery] Re: Correct APD Size

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Thu Mar 6 18:59:22 PST 2003

Greetings Jorunn,

OK, lets see if I can answer you questions with some short and sweet answers that will hopefully assure that your APDs will pass inspection.

Size of the Golf Tube.
    It must be a minimum of 1.25" in diameter.  Many people seem to prefer the
    "Jumbo" golf tubes which are a bit larger in diameter and it allows them to get
     a thumb in them for nocking.

    The length of the Golf Tube must also be cut to a minimum length of 1.25".
    The may be square-cut or angled cut on the front end of the tube.  If angled
     then the shortest side should be 1.25" in diameter.

The APD should be mounted no farther than and 0.5" from the very nock end of the arrow.

The APD must be held very securely in place with fiberglass strapping tape.  This strapping tape must run both around and through the tube.  I can take a lot of tape to get it right and secure.

If anyone out there is really interested in Golf Tube APDs they need to talk to Michael of the Fray. (knock, knock, Michael are you there?)  I think he does about the best job of any golf tube APDs that I have inspected.  He can tell you where he gets his Jumbo tubes.

Personally, this Kingdom Archery Marshal doesn't like golf tube APDs.  I would prefer that whenever possible people use Siloflex or the commercial Asgard APD.

When making Siloflex APDs I prefer the square-cut routed channel design made of 160 PSI siloflex.  I prefer this design for the simple reason that it is the most rugged and secure of the homemade designs that I have encountered.

I understand that there are times when it might be necessary to use Golf Tubes such as on wooden shafts (but I would also prefer that we not make any new wooden shafted combat arrows) or when a person doesn't have tools necessary to cut the siloflex.  In those cases just take the time to get it right.  Thank you for asking to make sure that you get it right.

The most complete place to go for APD information is http://www.combat-archery.com   This is the site of the Society Combat Archery Marshal and is linked to from the Manuals/Reference page and the Links page at http://archery.ansteorra.org.  A direct link to the Golf Tube APD page  on that site is  http://www.combat-archery.com/gtapd.htm  That page is the definitive page regarding what is required of Golf Tube APDs

Any questions come see us at inspection point at war or find me in the Coastal Region / Gates Edge encampment.

Regards,

Lord Eadric Anstapa
Kingdom Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
eadric at scabrewer.com