[Ansteorra-archery] Just Curious

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Tue Sep 16 19:05:02 PDT 2003

Archery practice here is routinely over a dozen people.  Of late numbers
have been a bit higher than usual because we have picked up some newcomers
and it seems like all of the regulars have been making every practice as
well.  For what it is worth, I only make about half of the practices that
are held at my house since when I am off being KAM they hold practice here
anyway.

I think the larger than average attendance is due to several factors.
First, we only hold an official practice once a month. Baron Talmon
discovered a long while ago that when weekly practices where held here just
a few people showed up and to get really good turn out the needed to be
scheduled once a month.  When the weather is real good we might get together
for quick impromptu shoots (many of the archers live out here within a few
minutes drive of one another) but just one shoot a month is scheduled.  On
other weekends we encourage our archers to go to events, travel as widely as
possible and participate.

Other factors that Lord Iaen mentioned are also key. We turn it into a big
social event with great dinners and we have a nice place that is pretty
comfortable.  Lots of shade and a 5000 square foot home so if the weather is
foul or hot we can move indoors and work on our archery crafts.

While attendance numbers have been in the mid-twenties of late, a little
over half of those have been here for archery.  The other half is comprised
of people who are here for Thrown Weapons or parents bringing their kids out
to the shoot, etc.

As to your question of why people don't shoot IKAC or IKCAC scores, I really
cant say.  All of the equipment is here and the range is always setup for
IKAC scores. I have seen people shoot 4 or 5 royal rounds on a day hunting
for that perfect bullseye but they are seldom interested in IKAC or IKCAC.
We encourage people to shoot what is fun for them and don't pressure them.
Most people around here had rather have us break out the 3d animal targets
before the IKCAC targets.  I guess people here show up for the fellowship
and enrichment and not for competition.

Regards,

-Eadric