[Ansteorra-archery] Canting, was a short treatise on heraldry.

Rumil Fletcher rumil at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 18 14:36:48 PST 2004

>Thanks for the compliment, Rumil.
>

>What I tried to get passed (and how I display it) is...
>
>Per fess sable and argent a swan niant and a swan niant inverted issuant
>from line of division counterchanged.
>
>For the heraldically challenged: The device is divided in half top/bottom
>(per fess) with a black (sable) background upper half and white (argent)
>background lower half. There are two left-facing (niant) swans. A white one
>on the black and a black one on the white (counterchanged). Both are seated
>(issuant from) on the dividing line.
>
>For the really heraldically challenged. See it at
>http://wiesenfeuer.ansteorra.org/people.html#anchor317656
>

>How it passed...
>
>Per fess sable and argent, two swans niant contourny counterchanged.
>
>The heralds wouldn't allow me to have a swan inverted (unnatural position
>for an animal). I allowed them to "right" it and move the swans off the
>division line to get it passed. I display it as originally designed anyway
>as I think it looks better. (sorry Rumil)
>
>Elric

Ahhhh!!! OK.  Ha ha ha ha ha.  Well, I have to agree with you.  It
does look pretty cool, if not completely period.  Anyway it worked, I
knew it was yours without asking.  I guess I should have made sure
you were using "passed" arms before I made such a fuss about yours
looking so good.  :)

I guess what I was remembering was closer to the passed arms, which
would also look good, in my opinion.

Rumil