[Ansteorra-archery] what APD's work best?

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Fri Jan 23 13:03:08 PST 2004

What APD is best?  Well, that is a completely loaded question.

I think the best APD is the one that you can build well and
consistantly.  If you don't have the tools to get the job done then
a design sure wont be the one for you.  If you are using wooden
arrows then there are simply many designs that wont work there.

The commercial Baldar APD is certainly a good product.  It is
consistant and easy to attach and does a doog job.  The downside is
that they are single souyrce item and are basically 3 or 4 times as
expensive as an APD you make your self.

I dont think there is anyting wrong with the internal or external
tabbed designs or with the routed channel designs (or a combination
of both).  They are inepensive, do the job well, can be repaired
when damaged but are unfortunately labor intensive and require tools
that perhaps everyone doesn't have.

Gulf Tubes designed are even OK if you send the time to do the
right.  Most people dont spend the time to do them right.

Personally I like the routed channel design.  I think they are easy
to fabricate (in my garage at least), easy to attach (compared to
some other designs), easy to repair, inexpenzive, and repairable.

Here is a run down of how we make them.

1.  Take a 5' stick of straight 160 PSI silodlex bought at Lowes and
clamp it to a 5' peice ot 2x4 lumber.

2.  Using the 2x4 as a straight edge run the siloflex across the
router table to cuta straight channel the entire length of the siloflex.

3.  Take the siloflex to the radial arm saw, set a stop block and
cut it into 1.5" long sections with a 100 tooth plywood bldae.  A
hole cut int hte table of the radial arm saw allows each APD to fall
into a bucket below.

4.  Round and smooth the edges of the siloflex using whatever tools
you want.  Files, sanders, etc.  We use Dremel tools with little
radius bits in them.

5.  Glue them to the shaft.  Use a good quality high temp hot melt
glue.  Dont be cheap.  Low temp glues soften too much in hot
Ansteorran weather.  Use glue sticks that stay pliable and dont get
too rigid or brittle after they cool. Don't use plolyurethane
because it gets too brittle and stay away from other glues that get
brittle.

High temp hot melts have the advantage of cooling and setting
quickly.  You dont have to hold the APD in place but for just a few
seconds unti lthe glue has cooled enough to hold it together until
after you get everything taped.

6.  Tape the APD to the shaft using the established guidelines.
This means at least one piece tape through the shaft, split on the
ends, and crossed over itself as it is wrapped around the shaft.
Then tape around the APD and shaft.

Thats it yer done.  Move on to the next arrow or bolt once the APD
is secure.

Regards,

--
HL Eadric Anstapa