[Ansteorra-archery] Students

Susan Hill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 28 11:32:58 PST 2004

Probably the most appropriate term would be 'yeoman'. The word is, according
to my Websters, derived from the Old English for young man and has been used
to describe manservants in noble households, assistants or subordinates to
such a position as sherriff, a small landholder, a british volunteer cavalry
force used as a home guard beginning in the mid 18th century. Yeoman service
is also considered to be exceptionally good, useful or loyal service or
assistance.

We use Yeoman as a ranking, but it is proabably the most fitting term for
these apprentice bowmen that I can find. Fledgling isn't so far off either,
as it is used in Britain as another spelling for fletching.

Linet