[Ansteorra-archery] The naming of Arcus Majoris students...

Adam Edwards wilim.penbras at pandora.org
Mon Mar 29 07:33:52 PST 2004

If an old man most of you have probably never heard of can interject.  I
vote for Fledgling.  The root Fledge is another term for putting feathers on
an arrow, also to take care of a young bird until it is ready for flight.  A
Fledgling is a young bird with it's flight feathers.  Both of these seem to
me to sum up the relationhip and the process.  An Newly Fledged arrow still
must be tested and tuned before I would call it complete.  Anyway it's hard
for me to describe because it seems the obvious name to me.

As to the short form for the Order,  I like the sound of simply Arcus.
Arcus Fearghus MacKenna, Arcus Gilbert ost Westley, Arcus Sebastian Eton
Frobishire to Name a few.  Don't know about you but it rolls off my tongue.

Ld. Robert of Yorkshire, Fledgling to Arcus Gilbert Ost Westley  Sounds
about right too.  I mean it's not like it has to be Fledgling Robert of
Yorkshire any more than I'm Squire Wilim.  Ld. Edward MacTavish, Fledgling
to Arcus Gilbert ost Westley rolls pretty good.

Some might say Fledgling lacks the dignity of Yeoman or Huntsman or
something.  I'd say to them that it will have all the dignity that the
current and future Fledglings bring to the name.

YiS,
    Ld. Wilim Penbras