[Ansteorra-archery] The naming of Arcus Majoris students...

Kevin Black kblack4 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 29 08:13:12 PST 2004

Well said ya Newf, although I do disagree with you from a personal
standpoint in that the word fledgling to me just sounds a little silly.  But
I do agree with what your saying.  Students themselves be they apprentices,
proteges or squires (or actually students as that's the equivalent term for
the "squires" for masters of arms) hold no true rank, therefore it's not as
Wilim said Squire Wilim, thus it isn't as important to have a name that
rolls off of the tongue as it is for the award they're striving for.

While I don't personally have a horse in this race, not being an archer
primarily, I personally prefer the term yeoman.  While it may not be an
exact term, it seems to me to be the closest and doesn't sound silly.

I disagree with journeyman, due to the definition that I'm familiar with
(which I'll admit may not be ideal) of someone who's graduated from the
student phase but just hasn't yet completed their master work.  Of course I
personally think we should have a three phase recognition structure as
opposed to the two phase which would bring in apprentice/journeyman/master
or page/squire/knight, but then again I'm also slightly mad.

I do agree with the short from being Archos, it sounds decent.  Means IIRC
archer and is a better honorific than HL since no one I know uses Honorable
Lord / Honorable Lady in ordinary conversation.

Hubert d'Aiguës-Mortes
Qui fait plus, mieux vaux