[Ansteorra-archery] My first one :)

David Ruff davidsbox01 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 18 19:44:08 PST 2005

  Have included the links to where the bow is pictured - it is one i have been building.

  Pre recurving the bow - on the tiller board

  http://www.xsorbit4.com/users/buildabow/Attachment/Flat1.jpg

  Recurves in the bow now

  http://www.xsorbit4.com/users/buildabow/Attachment/woodrecurve3.jpg

  Handle

  http://www.xsorbit4.com/users/buildabow/Attachment/Flat3.jpg

  Handle/walnut

  http://www.xsorbit4.com/users/buildabow/Attachment/Flat4.jpg

  The bow is a self bow made from hickory. It was hand made. Before i put the recurves into it it was pulling 54lbs at 25". I used the longbow and plains flatbow designs in this one. The back of the limb is carved into the D shape and i used a typical flatbow design. It is 65" tip to tip. The handle is cut as a typical riser bow is and the walnut is 1/4" making the handle semi ridged.

  From here i will make tips for it out of walnut and horn. Have to admit, the bow shot so well as i final tillered it i am leary of how it will perform now that i recurved it. I am told i will now have to retiller and bring it back to the poundage i want. I am most likely going to bring to to 45lbs at either 25" or 28" however i think in this wooden bow 28" is going to be pushing it on a recurved 65" long bow.

  This is all self discovery and copying people before me so its all trial and error - BUT WHAT FUN!!!!!!!!

  Ulrich

http://mail.yahoo.com