[Ansteorra-archery] Re: [Ansteorra-missile] Combat Arrow Recomendations

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Tue Dec 27 15:43:18 PST 2005

 Donnchadh wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I am looking at getting into combat archery and I was wondering what
> the pros and cons were for fiberglass vs siloflex arrows.
>
> Thanks,
> Donnchadh Beag mac Griogair
> Honorable Brotherhood of Brewers, Mazers, and Vintners

Fiberglass shafts are basically state of the art for SCA combat arrows.
With reasonable care the shafts will basicly last forever under normal
use if you buy quality fiberglass.

For blunts on these shafts you really have two options.  UHMW cored
Modified Markland style blunts that you make/assemble yourself  or
commercially produced Baldar Blunts.

Baldar blunts are easy and shoot well.  You just affix them to the shaft
and go.  Ease of use is their big advantage.

Some _disadvantages_ of Baldar Blunts are..

    * They do wear out  and they can not be repaired.  When they get
      damaged you must simply throw them away.
    * They can not be used on the rapier field because they hit too
      hard.  So if you ever think you might want to use your ammo in a
      rapier melee then they are not an option.
    * They cost $2 each.

UHMW cored blunts require more work.  Even if you buy premade cored and
die cut foam you still gotta spend time assembling them.  That extra
work involved is their disadvantage but if ya buy premade components it
isn't all that much work.

Some _advantages_ of the UHMW cored blunts...
Easily and inexpensively repaired.  Sit an watch TV or sit around the
campfire and repair them with materials ya buy at Walmart.
The cores themselves will basically never wear out.  You may have to
replace/repair/retape the padding but the blunt core should never wear
out in normal use.
Usable on the rapier field.
Less expensive.  If you make all the components yourself (that means at
a minimum cutting and drilling the UHMW and cutting the foam) then the
materials cost is about 20 cents each.  If ya buy premade parts then the
cost is about $1 each.

In addition to blunts your Fiberglass shafts will need APDs.  Your
choices are either the commercially produced Asgard APD or Siloflex APDs
that you can make yourself.

Asgard APDs are a good product.  Just glue them on and go.  They shoot
well and have an integrated nock for use on arrows or ya just cut off
the nock for use on a crossbow.  They cost 45 to 60 cents each depending
on where ya buy em.  We really dont know yet how well the hold up
because they have only been around a couple of years.  A crawback of
this product is that for use on arrows they are only nocked for right
handed shooters.  So if you shoot left handed or will be sharing ammo
with someone who does then the lefty will have to learn to shoot them
nockless.

Siloflex APDs also shoot well and are inexpensive.  If you have the
skills, time, and tools, then you can make them for under 10 cents
each.  They do however require frequent repair and retaping.

I think UHMW cored blunts are the clear winners for blunts  but I think
it is a toss-up for APDs between Siloflex and Asgard.

As far as Siloflex for the shafts go.

Personally I think there is are really only a two reasons to use
Siloflex for your shafts.
1.  You already have a bow that will shoot them
2.  You live in a kingdom that requires their use or will travel to one.
(like Calontir or Estrella War)

Siloflex shafts cost more than fiberglass and dont last any longer.
They also dont shoot/fly as well (decreased range).

Since you do live in the Northern Region you may wish to consider
siloflex if you plan on ever doing Combat Archery in Calontior.  But if
you plan on playing in Calontir they gotta have Tennis Ball blunts and
well those aren't the most aerodyanamic blunts out there.

Because of our history Ansteorra is almost 100% fiberglass shafted.  I
really dont see that changing for the most part.

Regards,

--
HL Eadric Anstapa
/eadric at scabrewer.com/ <mailto:eadric at scabrewer.com>