[Ansteorra-archery] the future ??

Susan Hill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 30 20:03:07 PDT 2005

I think that it's too bad that Carolingia feels that they need a form filled
out in order to make people consider what is expected, but I suspect that
they have had some bad experiences with people that have not upheld the
duties of a champion, no matter how trivial or small they may seem. Maybe
standing behind thrones like a 'peacock' is an insignificant thing to some,
but to the people of the barony, canton, shire, etc that that 'peacock'
represents, it is a big deal. We have had some cases in Central Region where
champions did not fullfill their obligations and it has left a bad taste in
the mouths of the people that they were supposed to 'defend.' It ends up
reflecting badly on the archery community and can take years to repair
trusts. That little championship is a BIG thing to a lot of people. To look
upon it as just another win is a sad mistake.

To compete in a championship and to win it knowing that you cannot, or will
not take on those duties, trivial or otherwise, is a breach of honor. A
person can be an honorable, decent person in their lives, but all it takes
is one lie to be branded a liar, one dishonesty to be labeled a cheater, one
foolish mistake to be labled a fool. Yes you should shoot your best if you
are going to compete, but if you cannot or will not do the duties you should
bow out. If you win and do not do them, then your honor isn't worth a
plugged nickel in my opinion. It is not up to you to decide whether the role
of a champion is trivial or not. It is important to someone or there
wouldn't be a championship.

It is going to be a while before I win any championships, if it ever
happens, but if it should, I will stand behind those thrones proudly for as
long as I am required or physically able. It is part of the duty I agreed to
when I chose to compete and win, and part of the game we play. If I just
want to chalk up wins...I can join some other archery club...one that
doesn't have a dream attached to it.

Lyneya de Grey

Arcarius to Jaque the Spink