[Ansteorra-archery] Gulf Wars archery plug

Ansteorra archery_marshal at ansteorra.org
Thu Mar 3 19:03:19 PST 2005

----- Forwarded message from Peregrine Fairchylde -----

To the archers and hurlers of the Known World, greetings!

Great changes have been wrought at Sherwood Range for this year's Gulf
Wars, and I wish to invite and encourage all those interested in live
weapons to make their way to the range this year. And those of you who
shoot or throw occasionally but haven't done so at Gulf Wars before, I
urge you to grab your tackle and make at least one trip to the range to
see how things have changed!

At Gulf Wars this year, we will have four separate ranges: A Royal
Round/IKAC range, a children's range, a thrown weapons range and the
war point range. The RR/IKAC range will be for anyone who just wants to
practice, or post a score to their kingdom rankings, or get in an IKAC;
we will shoot an IKAC every day at 2 p.m. The kids' range will have
targets at short distances, so the youngsters don't have to wait for
the adults to finish in order to shoot. The thrown weapons range will
include distances up to 45 feet. And the war point range will include a
100-yard clout and a 20-yard castle window shoot. All ranges will be
open for practice daily, though the war point range will be limited to
scoring archers the last two days.

The clout war point will have a 30-foot-diameter target on the ground
at 100 yards' range, with a 10-foot inner target. Each archer will have
six arrows, untimed; hits on the inner target score 2 points, on the
outer target score 1 point. The castle window war point will feature a
drawing of a castle window, 8 inches by 3 feet, at 20 yards. Archers
will have a 30-second timed shoot, with 2 points per hit in the window.

There will be some novelty shoots offered during the week, as well, by
the Kingdom of Calontir, and a Ladies' Throw on the thrown weapons
range. Other fun shoots will likely be arranged during the week.

Again, I encourage everyone who owns a bow or crossbow, an axe, knife
or spear, to spend a little time at the range this year. I look forward
to gathering input from the archers and hurlers who attend the war to
see how they like the changes and what other ideas they have for
Sherwood Range. I want to make live weapons at Gulf Wars something
people look forward to every year, and need your help to make that
happen.

In service, I remain

Ld. Peregrine Fairchylde
Rangemaster