[Ansteorra-archery] 15th century shade for your head

Sylvrfalcn at aol.com Sylvrfalcn at aol.com
Mon Mar 21 20:28:12 PST 2005

  In Desert Storm, Afghanistan, and Iraqi Freedom, I came to appreciate the
ability of the good old "boonie hat" in keeping the sun from boiling my brains
(some would say that's debatable <grin>). In fact, a bunch of us around here
took to wearing boonie hats when out shooting under the hot sun of Ansteorran
summer. Sweet deal, they're big enough to keep the sun off your head without
getting in the way of your bowstring.
  Problem is, we make every attempt to shoot our "official" Sunday archery
practices in full garb, so no-go at this station on the boonie hats. I know
there's documentation for straw hats being period, but you ever shot in one? So
what's a poor archer to do? Well, in looking around for a workable solution, I
came across the "Tudor Flat cap". What a deal!
-Economical, one yard of trigger and you're off to the races
-Easy to make, I don't own a sewing machine, but sewed mine by hand in a
single evening
-Completely period for late medieval/early ren
- Unisex, during "Elizabethan" era they were worn by men and women
- And, probably best of all, they keep the sun from boiling your brains,
without getting in the way of your bowstring. Lo and behold friends, the "Medieval
Boonie Hat"!!!

  Do a Google search on Tudor Flat Caps, and you'll find lots of patterns,
pictures, and instructions. Have fun, and keep a cool head out on the range ;-)

Cheers,
Robert of Yorkshire