[Ansteorra-archery] Bowyerthon '05 another Tool Tip

David Ruff davidsbox01 at yahoo.com
Thu May 12 22:20:34 PDT 2005

Excellant tip, one i use and it works VERY well. Altho i have no period proof to it, shark skin is excellant to use as well. Younger = finer "grain" where older = rougher grain.

Ulrich

Sylvrfalcn at aol.com wrote:
Glass smooth, without sandpaper. Huh?

Friends and fellow archers,
Nowadays if we want to make a piece of wood smooth, we just break out the
sandpaper and have at it. But how did our ancestors in the middle ages get wood
incredibly smooth with no sandpaper to be had? They used special woodplanes
called "smoothing planes", and they used the topic of this tool tip, the
scraper. Modern cabinet makers and traditional woodworkers still use them, and
they're currently referred to as cabinet scrapers or card scrapers. Your average
cabinet scraper is just a thin sheet of tool steel, cut into a rectangular shape
roughly two inches wide and five inches long. By properly dressing and
burnishing the edges (gobs of info on the internet, so I won't go into the mechanics
here) you wind up with a tool that "scrapes" incredibly fine shavings from
the surface of the wood. The result is a wonderfully smooth surface, so smooth
you really need not bother with sandpaper before applying a finish to your bow.
And here's the kicker; sandpaper's not very economical, it clogs up and wears
out, so you go through a lot of it. One properly maintained scraper will do
literally hundreds of bows, and you can pick up a set of four scrapers for
twenty bucks (check out www.traditionalwoodworker.com).
Bye bye sandpaper, hello cabinet scraper. A cheap, simple, efficient tool,
with no moving parts, and nothing to replace, what's not to love about that?

Cheers,
Robert of Yorkshire