[Ansteorra-archery] Fw: [Middleford] a forward from HL Gilbert Ost Westley

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Thu Sep 29 07:41:21 PDT 2005

Good Morning,

  Some of the items of why Arcus Gilli raised his issues will be
  addressed in my upcoming Archery Marshal report for the Blackstar. I
  will post a copy of it here when I'm done with it.

> I guess the thing *we* all have been told that a group can have as many non
> calendar events as they want is a LIE.

  While not a Seneschal it is my understanding that there are 3 kinds
  of events. Kingdom Calendar (which includes "multi-group" events),
  Local Calendar and Non-Calendar events. The first 2 are SCA events
  that are covered by all the rules of the SCA and protection by the
  corporate insurance because of these rules. Official guild meetings
  and pratices are on the group calendar and thus a Local Calendar event.

  Non-Calendar events are *not* SCA events as it is not on the Kingdom
  nor Local Calendar and the Corporation does not provide insurance nor
  guidelines. This means many things including the fact that things that
  must happen at 'official' events can not occur here. These are such
  things as a private fighter practice at my house, a Pennsic Pity Party
  and the like.

  You can have non-SCA archery whenever and wherever you want because I
  nor any other officer in the SCA has any control over that. When you
  want to have official SCA archery practice it is a Local Calendar event
  and must follow guidelines.

> Why do you, as the Kingdom Archery Marshal have to get involved and say how
> many times a month a group can hold practice??  Why limit what they can
> do?? Why do you not EVER let the Southern Regional Marshal even attempt to
> do her job.  Is there something wrong with the chair in front of your
> computer that makes you just jump in there??

  When there needs to be a ruling because of a violation of Corporate SCA
  policy in the area of Archery, in this Kingdom it is my job to make
  the final decision, give any punishments and to take the brunt of
  any backlash from those decisions. I did this because the issue was
  escalated to me by multiple officers. The buck stopped here and I did
  what I saw was the right thing. If my Regionals make a decision of this
  nature, I will fully back them but some decisions are more difficult
  to handle because of the politics and individuals involved.

> If you knew about  the IKAC, you'd know that is the common and encouraged
> practice.

  I have tried to discuss items with this *private* competition organizer
  but haven't gotten any response from them so I am on my own in how to
  interpret the rules for it. I have tried on multiple occasions to
  contact the person listed for IKAC but they do not return my inquiries.

> Here's another clue,  I fully expect YOU to pull my card for some BS like
> insubordination. Have a nice day.  And sleep well.. Your conscientious has
> got to be troubled.  Mine would be doing this crap.

  If I was going to pull your card for an arbitrary reason, I would have
  done it in regards to the recent incident that I was made aware of. I
  made sure when I was determining which Archery Marshal was present at
  the incident to only take action that was appropriate instead of being
  overzealous.

  But if you'd prefer it, I can remove your Archery authorizations.

  My conscience is completely clear in this case.

In Service,

--
Phelim "Pug" Gervase   |  "If you want my views of history
Bryn Gwlad - Ansteorra |   then there is something you should know.