[Ansteorra-archery] Some fun stuff - also some gratuitous blaming of people!!!

David Ruff davidsbox01 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 28 16:29:33 PDT 2005

Figured i would write some good stuff rather then respond to the other post.

I have heard about the plasticized finishes not being allowed in competitions etc. It donned on me that i have never seen this type of finish on any of the bows or xbows, so i took it upon myself to see what it would take to achieve this plasicized state.

I started with a Xbow (yeah yeah i know do something different) The stock is leopard wood and capped with madagascar ebony (fyi - the ebony dust WILL put you in the doc's office). I sanded the stock down to 400 grit smooth and then applied 20 coats of gloss poly sanding smooth every 4 coats with 400 grit wet paper..

>From here i went for the polish and sanded with 400 wet paper and then with 000 steel wool. This gave me a nice smooth and uniform finish. I then buffed the stock on the buffing wheel using a new soft wheel and beeswax.

Lemme tell you - WOW!!!!!!!

I can tell you the finish is mirror and looks like a finish that you would see in a office. Glass smooth and reflects EVERYTHING.

The stock FYI is recieving a totally NON period brass set of irons, plates, trigger with a elephant ivory roller nut and ivory bolt gutter. Why? cuz brass looks cool - or so i think.

Pics will follow of the bow on my site when i get around to it.

So after that bout with the stock - which is still in the building stages i decided to take Robert of Yorkshires advice and try another bow. (actually i have been playing with laminates and bows for about 3 months now heheh, but NEVER have i tried a true D section english longbow. A trip to home depot for some oak and there i was.....

Following the 5/8ths rule i cut out and shaped a longbow. A trip to the tillering block and i produced a 30# at 25" longbow that seems to be VERY accurate out to about 30 yards - well accurate in the hands of someone that can shoot a bow - i really bite at shooting one.

Next is figuring out how to use this bow oven and just what to do with this bo tuff, rock hard maple stripping and this bow form....

Personally i blame Jacque for showing me a horse bow.... Now i build them and they are sorta fun to shoot!!!!

/thinks to himself - this ain't no xbow and where did kansas go.......

David - aka Ulrich, aka - the guy that cheats using short shafts

:) :)