[Ansteorra-archery] Help

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Thu Mar 2 20:21:37 PST 2006

Haydee Sheen wrote:
> I went to Gothic War this past summer. There was no Archery Marshal at that event, therefore I was unable to get certified there either. I was authorized for Heavy Combat, and was allowed to take part in the melees with the supervision of several combat archers, I do not remember their names, one was an excellent archer named Robin, and the other was a Lady crossbowman who was most feared by everybody she was shooting against. She stood about 5'00" tall, but her crossbow made her 10'00" tall. I realize that I would have to prove that I know the rules and how to defend myself. I must say that I did well for myself and got people's attention with my shooting. There is a lack of Authorizing marshals in this type of event, and it makes it very difficult for people like me to get things done. I will go to Gulf Wars and enjoy myself regardless, but would still like to get certified for other events. I would like to know where I can find an authorizing marshal in combat archery close to where I live, so that we can get aquainted and I can finally get authorized.
> I also have a question in reference to the original message I sent. This was my first message to the list and I'm curious as to what administrivia is, and what part of my message was administivia.
>
> Respectfully,
> Haydee Sheen

If you do not have a local CA Marshal then the first person you should
contact would be your Regional Marshal.  Your regional marshals contact
information can be found in every Black Star and at
http://archery.ansteorra.org.

Additionally, you can find a list of authorizing marshals at
http://archery.ansteorra.org.  Perhaps you know one.  Living in Temple
you are not too far at all from your Regional Marshal or from the
Kingdom Marshal.

As far as the number of authorizing marshals,  Ansteorra has more than
many kingdoms do and with as few Melee events as we have in the kingdom
(melee is the only place you can have combat archery and the only place
a Combat Archer could be properly authorized) we probably have nearly
the right amount  If we had more melee events we would definitely need
more authorizing marshals.

It is very unfortunate that there was no authorizing marshal at Gothic
War but the several that were going to attend had a case of real life
crop up at the last moment and unfortunately could not attend.  However,
even if they had been authorizing marshals at the event there is no
guarantee that they would have the time to spend with you that is needed
to take care of you authorization (they may have already arranged to
work with others and simply be too busy).  If you are are needing
authorization you need to start working with a CA Marshal in advance and
make an appointment to meet and work with them at a specific melee
event.  Don't leave it to chance and dont assume that they will just be
there or have the time.

There were plenty of Authorizing Marshals at Three Kings and nobody
asking for authorization.   There were more than enough authorizing
marshals at Bordermarch Melees (but there were nearly 30 Combat Archers
at that event), and at Coastal Invasion there were a total of 14 archers
and there were 4 authorizing marshals.  The lack of marshals at Gothic
was an unfortunate exception and not the norm.

Authorization is more than just knowing the rules and knowing how to
defend yourself  and you would be very surprised at how many people only
think they know the rules.  After we got over all the rules with you and
assure ourselves that you know them the society authorization rules
require that before you are authorized that the authorizing marshal
observe you on the field using your missile weapon and judge your
ability use use an control your weapons.  Control is perhaps the biggest
part.  The authorizing marshal has to assure themselves that you safely
judge range and are safe in your target selection on a busy
battlefield.  This evaluation can only effectively and properly be done
in melee.

Regards,

HL Eadric Anstapa
Deputy Society Earl Marshal for Combat Archery
eadric at scabrewer.com