[Ansteorra-archery] Crossbow Binding

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Wed Aug 6 21:10:34 PDT 2008

Donnchadh Beag mac Griogair wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> The binding on my combat crossbow is getting pretty loose and I need
> to re-do it.  What would be the best material to use and does anyone
> have a good source?  Also, does anyone know of a good how-to article
> or will someone be at Round Table who might be able to show me?  I
> need to get it done before Gothic and unfortunately I won't be able to
> make it to Eldern Hills for the practice this weekend.
>
> Thanks,
> Donnchadh

Good article on Binding prods can be found at:

http://hightowercrossbows.com/bindinghowto.htm

Whatever ya use to bind it should be a low stretch as you can get.  What
Bart uses in the article is  the Handy Hundred polyester braid.   See
http://www.rwrope.com/knot_tyers/twine_cord.htm

That same page has waxed whipping twine which is another good thing to
use.  Also sometimes called waxed sail twine or waxed marine twine.
It's a poly twine.  Any suitably heavy poly twine should work well.
Some prefer waxed twine as it has a tendency to "lock" in better.

JP uses waxed telco lacing twine which is another strong waxed poly twine.

Or go to your local Tandy Leather factory store and get some
appropriately heavy waxed stitching/twine/cord made from poly.

Remember nylon stretches.  Poly usually has near zero stretch.

-EA