[Ansteorra-archery] Combat Archery - New Society Marshallate Ruling

Marlin and Amanda Stout ldcharles at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 10 14:53:05 PDT 2008

Eadric Anstapa wrote:
> You are confusing two separate blunt types.  There is UHMW cored
> blunts on fiberglass shafts  and there are rubber stopper blunt cores
> on siloflex shafts.  Rubber stopper of siloflex shafts are also called
> Omarad blunts.  Both are allowed in Ansteorra so all of our CA
> marshals should be familiar with them and know the difference and how
> to inspect them.  Both require side wraps now.
No, I'm not confusing anything. I asked for a clarification so I'm /not/
confused, since the wording wasn't, IMO, clearly written.
> We do likely need to set a 3/4" lower limit to give us some room to
> work with.

Which is pretty much the point I (and others) were making: by the
current rules we have no room to work with.

>> What I would suggest would be that we look at coming up with some
>> kind of standard for how 'squishy' the foam in our rounds (and other
>> weapons) can be.
>>
> Thats not a new idea.  Remember any standard that you want set  is
> something that can be tested for quickly and accurately at an
> inspection point when you are going through thousands of pieces of ammo.
Believe me, I understand that. And I'm not sure what the 'best' answer
is, I just think it'd be a good idea to get asking about it now, and see
if we can come up with a better answer.
>> And, before any yells at me about it, I know that this is a Society
>> mandate, and we have to enforce it now. What I'd like to see, though,
>> is that we start looking for a better answer now, so maybe we can get
>> the ruling adjusted later on into something safe, but easier to
>> administer.
> Try to stay positive.  This isn't the end of the world.
I am staying positive. I'm positive we can find an answer we can live
with if we start asking the same questions.

Personally, I think there's a better answer to this problem than
sidewraps, but just what that may be I can't say right now. But I'm
sure, with all the bright people doing CA out there, we can come up with
something. I also believe it's a good thing to ask questions about how
to implement a change like this early, like we're doing, so that
potential problems can be examined and solutions found early. that's all.

Charles