[Ansteorra-archery] Combat Archery - New Society Marshallate Ruling

Marlin and Amanda Stout ldcharles at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 11 17:59:08 PDT 2008

Ok, I'm thinking over this whole penetration issue, and I've got a
thought I'd like to run by everyone.

What if we add to our inspection procedure a test for foam penetration
of a helm?

What I'm thinking about is this: Take a metal frame, either a ring or
rectangle, and weld bars to it with a 1" space between them. This
simulates the bars on a fighter's helm. When inspecting arrows, place
the butt end against something solid (like the ground, or a block of
wood with a hole for the nock), place the bar-tester on the head and
press hard. If the foam penetrates the bars too far, the round fails.

Now, I'm sure some of you may well think of a better way to do this,
it's just what came to my head all of a sudden. But it would, at least,
give us a test for the problem we're worried about, and be fairly easy
to do during ammo inspection. I would think that it could be a step done
at an initial inspection, not neccessarily during field inspections of
rounds to be re-fired later. After all, if it passed the first time, it
should be good for a few battles, like any other gear.

What do you all think about this? Does it sound like something worth
doing, in addition to the new construction rules?

Charles,
BG