[Ansteorra-archery] Combat Archery - New Society Marshallate Ruling

James Friend jfriend-1 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 11 21:34:16 PDT 2008

The problem with this that i see is that foam is made to compress and i can take any foam tipped ammo and stick it through a 1" gap without much pressure at all.  The foam would only need to compress 1/4" of an inch for this to happen.  So given you suggested testing method every foam tipped ammo would fail.  What this rule is trying to do is to reduce the chances of this occuring and, if there is any penitration of the foam into the helm that the penitration is not far enough to cause any problems.

Frederic> Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:59:08 -0500> From: ldcharles at sbcglobal.net> To: ansteorra-archery at lists.ansteorra.org> Subject: Re: [Ansteorra-archery] Combat Archery - New Society Marshallate Ruling> > Ok, I'm thinking over this whole penetration issue, and I've got a > thought I'd like to run by everyone.> > What if we add to our inspection procedure a test for foam penetration > of a helm?> > What I'm thinking about is this: Take a metal frame, either a ring or > rectangle, and weld bars to it with a 1" space between them. This > simulates the bars on a fighter's helm. When inspecting arrows, place > the butt end against something solid (like the ground, or a block of > wood with a hole for the nock), place the bar-tester on the head and > press hard. If the foam penetrates the bars too far, the round fails.> > Now, I'm sure some of you may well think of a better way to do this, > it's just what came to my head all of a sudden. But it would, at least, > give us a test for the problem we're worried about, and be fairly easy > to do during ammo inspection. I would think that it could be a step done > at an initial inspection, not neccessarily during field inspections of > rounds to be re-fired later. After all, if it passed the first time, it > should be good for a few battles, like any other gear.> > What do you all think about this? Does it sound like something worth > doing, in addition to the new construction rules?> > Charles,> BG> _______________________________________________> Ansteorra-archery mailing list> Ansteorra-archery at lists.ansteorra.org> http://lists.ansteorra.org/listinfo.cgi/ansteorra-archery-ansteorra.org