[Ansteorra-archery] Gulfwars GET Tournamet

David Law dragonlaw1 at nww.net
Thu Jan 17 14:06:54 PST 2008

Attention, all ARCHERS

You may have heard that we are planning to have a tourney of the finest archers at Gulfwars.  It is still planned.  We have had some scheduling problems but it is anticipated that we will still have the tourney.

  We are requesting that all archers compete to qualify to enter the tourney.  The only method that we currently have of comparing archers across kingdoms is the IKAC (Interkingdom Archery Competition) and one of the purposes of this tourney is to get people to shoot IKACs.  Even though the IKAC competion is over for the year, the keeper of the scores has agreed to continue taking scores FOR QUALIFICATION PURPOSES ONLY.  See the attached flyer for more information.

To send in IKAC scores out of season, contact Andre Detommaso at :
email: ikac at detommaso.org  and you can carbon copy myself at:
email: dragonlaw1 at nww.net

Good Luck.
The First Ever        Archery - Grand Exhibition Tourney

To be held at the Fort, with rows of spectators watching and cheering on the contestants.

Only the best archers will be in competition.  Glory, Honour, and a Really Cool Prize awaits the archer who wins this Grand Tourney.

How to qualify?  The contestants will be declared as the top ten archers at Gulf Wars XVII, as determined by the IKAC scores that they have submitted during the 2007 season and including scores submitted up until March 1st, 2008 (scores will be accepted after the official close of the 2007 season – for qualification only).  There will also be IKACs run at Gulf Wars for those who wish to enter additional scores.  The ranking system used will be based on:

20% - The archer’s Total Number of submitted IKAC scores.
20% - The archer’s Highest submitted IKAC score.
60% - The archer’s Average IKAC score during the qualification period.

For this Exhibition, we want the best archers the known world has to offer to come forth and show their prowess and impress the crowd.  It is also our intent to both bring the attention of our populace to the art of archery and to encourage more IKAC submissions from our ranks of archers.  The more IKAC scores you submit, the better your chances of obtaining a slot in the tourney.  To help insure participation throughout the Known World, there will also be “Wild Card” slots available in an effort to have at least one contestant from each Kingdom present.  These slots will be determined at Gulf Wars, so be sure to register on site.

Divisions:

Due to time constraints, we will only be able to offer two divisions:
Longbow/Recurve and Crossbow.
  We will determine how many of each division after we know how many have registered on site.  An announcement board will be posted at the archery range to list the contestants by Wednesday of the War.

Heraldry:

There will be a Special Award given to the archer (and their herald) who presents the Most Entertaining Heraldic Introduction to the crowd. Each of the contestants is encouraged to have a Herald announce their name, qualifying score, and any other humorous tidbits with which to entertain the populace (must keep it short though).  [If you have not brought a herald with you to the event, one will be provided!]

Competition:

Details of the competition will be announced at a later date, but will consist of targets at ranges of 20, 30, and 40 yards and at least one unspecified range.  There will be at least one speed round.   Equipment must be in accordance to accepted SCA archery traditions and rules, but need not be period.

Contact Information for questions:

THL Aleyn Kynyd ap Rhys     Gleann Abhann
aleyn at cableone.net

Visc. Miriel du Bois     Gleann Abhann
mirieldubois at gmail.com

Lord Leofwine of Sumersaetum   Ansteorra
dragonlaw1 at nww.net

Mistress Lynette Dave'jean
Society Deputy for Archery
archery at sca.org