[Ansteorra-archery] Northern Region 2nd Quarter Archery Report

Mike Gideon mg1m at swbell.net
Mon Jun 9 16:53:26 PDT 2008

2nd Quarter 2008 Archery Report for the Northern Region

 Baron Michel mac Donnchaid Reporting – This Quarter saw a reasonable amount of activity for the Northern Region.  We had several events that were attended by good number archers and many creative tournaments

Group Reports:
Barony of Bonwicke- I've been given no information as to this group. No reports have been forwarded to me or received directly.

Barony of the Eldern Hills - No Baronial marshal

Barony of Namron– Master Ulf Gunnarrson
Attendance at practice continues to grow.  "The
Challenge" helped bring some new shooters out but also
limited our time for shooting IKACs as the new archers
need to get comfortable shooting that many arrows.  We
are about there.  The second order of shafts just came
in so there will be plenty of fletching parties and
arrows to spare.  We will be ordering some loaner bows
soon.

Our spring event (see separate report) went well.  The
gentle that painted the realistic cardboard knight for
one of the targets has since created a 3D knight
(looking suspiciously like the Black Knight from Monty
Python) out of rigid pool noodles, foam exercise pads,
and tape.  The gentle's name is Lord Lawrence of
Namron.  The target's name is William Penn de Cushion,
aka "Frenchy".

"Frenchy" worked so well in practice that Lawrence
allowed me to take him to Steppes Warlord, where I
assisted in the marshalling.  The final challenge of
the titled competition was to "fire at Will" and hit
him in the visor slot at approx. 30 yards.  It was not
easy, but finally Lady Ker Megan nailed it.  We plan on
making more of William's kinsmen for future shoots.

Another thing at Steppes was an informal Marshal Shoot.
 We picked up a random loaner bow and six arrows out of
the bucket.  Everyone used the same bow and arrows and
fired at a twenty yard target.  The highest score was
16... until the last shooter, His Majesty Aaron, shot
an 18.  That's what kings do.

I must commend Baroness Annabelle, Lord Sebastiana,
Baron Donnchadh, Lord Ithrael, Lord Kristian, and Lord
Lawrence for their help with the archers at practice.

Barony of Northkeep - HL Arthur Blackmoon
I am reporting as a marshal for my local branch:  Yes
Number of Active Target Archers in our branch:  9
Number of Active Combat Archers in our branch:  2
Branch sponsored archery activities this quarter:

EVENT DATE ARCHERS RR IKAC IKCAC COMBAT
northkeep practice  3-2-08  3  YES  YES
northkeep practice  3-9-08  4  YES  YES
northkeep practice  3-16-08  4  YES  YES
northkeep practice  4-6-08  6  YES  YES
northkeep practice  4-27-08  6  YES  YES
northkeep practice  5-11-08  2  YES  YES
northkeep practice  5-18-08  6  YES  YES
northkeep practice  5-25-08  5  YES  YES                                              COMBAT Means shooting at real people on a melee field.
Were There Any Injuries?  No
If there were injuries a separate injury report should have been submitted and the regional marshal should have been called immediately.
Description of Activities, Event Winners, Comments, Other things worth reporting, etc.

assisted at other events , ran practices as weather
and events allowed .
had 1 self bow failure after inspections at practice
on 5-25-08 , daniel of northkeep in the 2nd round of
practice drew his bow and with no warning , it broke
in 2 pieces , causing a scrape across his nose. he
applied ice to stop bleeding, and refused any other
medical attention .northern regional was called but
agreed that since no medical treatment was needed , no
accident report need be filed. upon inspection after
the failure, the wood of the bow was very dry .

Barony of Wiesenfeuer- Lady Brenna MacEwan
Verbal report only- No practices due to weather and lack of help with mowing/upkeep of range. Range is on private land but near 4 wheel trails. Some vandalism of targets/bales has been a problem.
Province of Mooneschadowe - Lady Zorya Prazan  NO REPORT
Shire of Brad Leah-  No marshal

Canton of Skorragardr- Appollonaris Darius Septimus No Report

Canton of Chemin Noire – No Marshal

Marshals at Large Reports:

Mistress Octavia de Verdon– no report (CA Marshal)
Lord Aiden of the Eldern Hills– No Activity

Lord Gryffydd ap Artorius - No Activity (due to National Guard Basic Training and AIT)
Lord Gunnarr haukr - No activity
Baroness Annabelle Marie Fitzsimmons-
The only activity I assisted with this quarter was
range setup and tear down.  I did not inspect
equipment or run a range.
Aonghas Domhnuillach - NO REPORT
Baron Donnchadh Beag mac Griogair-
I've assisted marshaling at our local archery practice.
 Our practice continues to grow and we are getting more
interest in both target and combat archery.

Lord Lawrence Fletcher-
I ran the "shoot the knight" fund raiser shoot at
Castellan on May 31, 2008. There were 16 archers who
partisipated.

I have also ran the field for the marshals Ulfie and
Arthur Blackmoon to give them a break and or let them
shoot.

Lord Karl Thorgeirrson- No Activity
Lord Robin of Northkeep - NO REPORT
HL Aldric de Kerr - verbal report of no activity
Baron Elric Dracwin - verbal report of no activity
Lord Ian MacEwan - event report from Wiesenfeuer Baronial no other activity.
HL Thomas Quilliam -
Not much, was at Wiesenfeuer Baronial and Beltane,
marshalled some - shot some - stood in for RH some -
taught kids class - had fun.

Event Reports -

Wiesenfeuer Baronial - I thought a report had been submitted, it was actually
a TW Event report from the Archery Marshals spouse I was the outgoing Champion and
should have made sure that the local marshal was reporting. The shoot had 17 archers
In round 1 the format was a 3 arrow string shoot, measured and awarded 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc.
Round 2 was a 2"wide Wand shoot (duct tape)
Round 3 was 4"wide Window shoot, with additional 2" on either side and top as "beveled stone window sill"
Champion was Ulrich von Butigen
Beltane Games- 23 archers.The competition had a good spectator attendance
and was composed of three rounds. The first round the archers
shot a vertical wand shoot. The top dozen continued to round
two, where they shot at a French knight (well-painted by
Lord Lawrence du Paulson). The knight was mostly obscured by a
stack of haybales ten feet in front of him to equalize crossbows with bows.
The top six went on to the final round where they shot at a rabbit being pulled
along a path. The winner was Lord Tesmond der Pferdonmiester.
Three children later shot at the French knight and a moving squirrel at a much
closer distance. Aleczander Lawrenceson was the winner.

Castellan- 30 archers
we had 5 standing animal silloets ,stationary, and 7 bird and
bat silloets suspended , and moving in the wind , at varied
distances . scoring was kill / wound . we had 30 archers ,
26 adult and 4 child . adult winner was gryffid ap artorius
after a 5 round shoot off with ulrich von budigen .
child winner was avery o'griffin after a shoot off with
kate of northkeep. a fund raiser shoot was held afterward .
to benifit the local missile activities, the local barony ,
and the kingdom . $75.00 was raised . the shoot was ran by
lawrence of namron who also designed and built the foam
" knight " that was used as the target.

Authorizations:
None
Note: Apologies for the lateness of this report, computer failure just prior to Eldern XXX