[Ansteorra-archery] missile carpool , long , was Re: Third Quarter 2008 Royal Round Keeper Report

ld.blackmoon ld.blackmoon at cox.net
Mon Sep 8 17:05:26 PDT 2008

greetings

>I don't remember seeing a Castellan RR scheduled in the site flier, on the website, or announced on the archery list.  If this is my memory failing me, then it is my mistake.

that would be because in 6 years ive never posted anything in the event flyer ,as im never ask untill after it is sent in what will be going on on the range, they just know i'll take care of whatever needs doing.
and by tradition weather permitting , there has been a royal scheduled either friday evening or sunday morning every castellan for the last 6 years. sometimes no one bothers to show up early or stay late to come shoot a royal.

>Again, I think this is where you and I differ.

thats ok, if everyone agreed on everything , we would all spend our lives bored to tears ; )
this is why we are all allowed our own opinion .

> I shoot to have fun,
this is part of the problem , everyone has a differeent idea of what is fun , for me its to be challenged as a shooter , for some its shooting barney  stuffed animals, for still others its shooting balloons as they bounce across the ground , some people only want to shoot combat arrows , some only want to shoot foam animals , etc.
personaly i think they should all be shot at in an archers life as they all have different things to teach the archer, but again thats my opinion ; )
( ever done a monkey shoot ??  theyre a blast , but the blood runs to your head if you take too long, & i wouldn't recomend wearing a dress or skirt ; )

>And I've never seen anyone freaking out on a line because they're shooting in a new place.  Most people I've seen are excited to shoot in a new place, not apprehensive about it; a new shooting location doesn't seem to bother them.

call it excited, freaked out , nervous tension , what ever you like , but when an archer starts dropping arrows, fumbling knocking arrows, his / her score drops 20 or more points , missing shots they can normaly make with ease , etc , they are under stress and more likely to make a safety mistake

>Did they shoot Royal Rounds at this event?

no,unless they did it sunday ( i left sat night ) ,  they didn't even get to finish the tourney because rain had delayed the the archers shooting the preceding rounds enough that they cut the last round in order to finish before it got dark.

>And all that is fine.  But it doesn't have anything to do with whether an event hosts a RR or not.

no , but as h l eadric points out in his post , some autocrats ( like northkeep ) require the range to be available at any time all day sat
since they see missile activity as being less important
unlike the rapier or heavy lists that have definite start and stop times , ( if you miss armor inspection , or the first round you cant come in later and say sign me up i want to win )

>Again, I didn't say in my original e-mail that you should stop doing special practices altogether.  I said that you might be surprised at the number of people submitting RR scores if you actually have RR shoots at an event.

the " special " practices are not extra practices , they are regularly scheduled practices that we try to attend instead of holding that one practice we will miss by travelling, and only happen every other month or so as event schedules permit .a heavy event month usualy won't see any " special " practices.
and its not the people submiting the royal round scores , its the number of marshals holding royal rounds and submitting scores, if the marshals dont hold royal rounds weather at practice or events , there will be no scores submitted.
a lot of times i'm told " there wasn't any interest " when i ask if there will be royal rounds at any given event , so perhaps we need to stir up some interest and let marshals know in advance that x number of archers are planning to attend such and so event, can we get an away score ??
perhaps that way , they will know there is an " interest "

again this is just the way i see things at this point, but im old and human , so i very well could be wrong , so catch me at an event some time , bring a drink and a chair, and you can try to convince me where i'm wrong, or just being stubborn ; )
i'll enjoy the company , the discussion , and may even change my mind  .

be safe, be happy, have fun
arthur
.