[Ansteorra-archery] Third Quarter 2008 Royal Round Keeper Report

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Mon Sep 8 07:45:35 PDT 2008

jack spinks wrote:

Cannot say if archers have shot an away score or not.  Most have
probably not but I am not speaking of the averages although I do not
remember that detail of calculation being listed on the website with
regard to the averages.

What the current scores website says is:

    "/An Archers rank is determined by the official average of the three
    highest Royal Round scores recorded within the past year within each
    division. To promote travel, interaction with other archers, and
    cross-pollination of archery ideas, to earn an official average an
    Archer must record scores from events or practices held in two
    different SCA groups within the year period that is being averaged.
    If an archer has not recorded scores from events or practices from
    at least two different branches then they will not show up on the
    current list of official averages./"

The old web pages said something extremely similar:

    "/An Archers rank is determined by the average of the three highest
    Royal Round scores recorded within the past year within each
    division. To earn an official average or rank an Archer must record
    at least one score a year outside of their normal home shooting
    area. The scores will be checked to see that within the year period
    that the archer has recorded scores from events or practices hosted
    by at least two different branches./"

If ya look online at the the AoB proceedings from April 2002 when the
Royal Rounds were introduced to Ansteorra you will see similar words.

I just noted that none of the steppes archer scores are listed under the
Steppes heading.  The only way we can compare our scores locally is by
looking up the individual archers score by name.

You are correct, if an archer has not achieved an official average the
only way to compare the scores of those archers that have no official
averages (local or not) is to look up the individual archers.   That is
because the purpose of  these rounds is not for comparison between
archers.  This is NOT a competition.  The purpose of the Royal Rounds is
for an individual archer to track their own progress and I think this
new system allows them to do that extremely well.

I assume from your comment that until an archer has at least one away
score none of their scores will be listed under their local group?

The only _lists_ generated are for those archers who have have current
official averages.  So if an archer does not have an official average
they will not appear on a list and they will have to look up their
individual records.

-EA