[Ansteorra-archery] Third Quarter 2008 Royal Round Keeper Report

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Mon Sep 8 08:53:42 PDT 2008

Donnchadh Beag mac Griogair wrote:
> Is the new system going to be dropping off old scores as they pass one
> year?
Not "going to be", it currently IS only calculating averages from scores
shot within the past year.  If you look up an archer like Arthur
Blackmoon you will see that the only scores listed for him are less than
a year old, but there is a link on the page to "Show All Scores"  and if
you click that link then some more scores appear for Arthur that are
more than a year old.  Going forward a complete history will be
maintained and archers should always be able to go back and look up
scores back  to the first score entered for them in the new system.

Scores older than a year are now automatically no longer used to
calculate averages but they remain and in the system and an archer can
look up their older scores to see how they have progressed over the years.

> I believe the old system just sort of let everything accumulate.
"system" is really a generous word for what existed previously.  It was
essentially 100% manual.  The royal rounds keeper had to manually
re-enter all the submitted scores into a spreadsheet and then would have
to manually go in and remove any scores older than a year.  Then after
everything was recalculated the new averages had to be manually uploaded
to the web server.  It was more time consuming for the scorekeeper and
because of that there were often delays.  So yes, often older scores did
not get removed as they really should have and archers averages where
often quite less than fully accurate.

Maintaining accuracy while allowing a complete history for each archer
to be maintained was the primary goal I had when I took over as the
keeper.  Luckily I didn't have start from scratch as was able to
leverage a system already being used in Atlantia.

-EA