[Ansteorra-archery] missile carpool , long , was Re: Third Quarter 2008 Royal Round Keeper Report

ld.blackmoon ld.blackmoon at cox.net
Mon Sep 8 11:33:41 PDT 2008

greetings

> As a result, I am not willing to drive 3 or 4 hours roundtrip, even carpooling, to attend a special practice just so I can get an away score.  It takes two very valuable resources:  my money and my time.  I think this recent push to have special practices has replaced holding Royal Round shoots at events. <

actually the carpooling to other practices had several reasons ,none of which was to eliminate the royal rounds at events , if it hadn't been for the big storm sunday at castellan there would have been a royal round on sunday morning as usual.

i started the carpooling to practices , to improve the missile skills and promote missile activities ,so that archers can get used to shooting on a full firing line , in different places , under different marshals , and not always standing next to the same people, hearing the same marshal over and over again .this will help them focus on shooting well at events , and not freaking out because they aren't used to shooting at a new place , under a different marshal , with a different landscape.
this is also one of the reasons that a group of us went and participated in calontirs " kings company of archers "  this past weekend.
( a stand alone archery event where they compete from all over the kingdom , at all levels unranked to grant level )
carpooling to different practices was also to help archers and marshals get to know each other and help each other , as in the north we're sort of like a big missile family , where to get help all you have to do is ask .
and was to give marshals an idea about  what it would be like to be a m i c for an event , having that many people show up to shoot.
northkeep has a small range , so only 5 or 6 can shoot at a time , so our regional practice may have a lot of socializing time as well .
it was also a way to ease travel expenses so that i could get to more places in order to authorize more people for both thrown weapons and archery .
getting an away score is just a nice bonus added to all the benifits of carpooling to practices.

part of the reason i see royal rounds not being shot as much is the fact that a lot of marshals are saying they hate circle targets , they only want to do " fun " shoots .both for practice and for events .
( which of course means no paper work till the quarterlies , or event reports ) ( which thanx to hl eadrics long hours , reporting is very easy , where else can you turn in ikacs and royal rounds at the same time ?? )
ansteorra is constant being beaten in the ikac by antir , and a couple others , in some divisions , by a lot of others .
this isnt going to change as long as groups only do " fun " shoots,  or people only practice shooting at events.

for me , what i shoot at isn't as important as the fact that i'm shooting,( or throwing ) and a " fun " shoot is one that challenges me to stay focused, and do my very best, because anything less just wont get me to the next round .
( ok , so if i was into bruises , pain and broken bones , maybe i would be a  knight  by now ; )  ,  health and mundanity have dropped my scores , but i'm working on raising them again through practice.

archery and thrown weapons are my primary activities in the sca , if they die, i will be the guy camped out on the far edge of site , shooting at my personal butt  , or throwing at my personal target , but i'll miss the teaching , and the big family that is ansteorran missile comunity .

just my 2 pence worth  ( $4.95 = adjusted for modern times ) " 1 cent = after modern taxes " = )

be safe, be happy, have fun
arthur