[Ansteorra-archery] Third Quarter 2008 Royal Round Keeper Report

ld.blackmoon ld.blackmoon at cox.net
Mon Sep 8 17:50:38 PDT 2008

greetings

>The real reason is the way the Gates Edge event itself is run, not the
archery portion but the whole event.  To win the over-all event
championship a person has to participate in X number of the individual
championships.  Since the Rapier tournament is during a finite time in
the AM, and the Armored tournament during a finite time in the PM,
things like Archery and Thrown weapons kinda have to be open all day so
that people can come down and participate as they get free from the
other competitions and then go back to other competitions.  To allow
people to come and go that means that once a target gets setup for the
championship tournament it has to stay setup right there in that spot so
that we can squeeze them in, in any order, and the tournament stays the
same for all shooters.

yes, northkeep is much the same , it started out you had to compete in 2 marshal activities and either a&s or bardic in order to win, but they later changed it to you have to compete in at least 3 activities one of which must be a & s or bardic , so now more than heavy fighters can win , as archery and thrown weapons are 2 different activities  , and all people trying for the castellan position will have their total points ( given for 1st , 2nd , and 3rd place )  divided by however many activities they participated in.
so if you did so so in 3 events , you could beat someone that did well in 2 activities and poor in 2 activities.

believe me i know about only having 1 event to hold archery activities , as northkeeps events are 1 : castellan , camping event = static champions chosen , 2 : djonader  , non camping , off calendar, demo = war leaders chosen ( usualy in a park where archery is forbidden ) , and 3 : winter kingdom  , one day collegeum type classroom event , at a church school , again, in the city limits , where archery is forbidden )

>I think a better question is what prevents more branches from submitting
Royal Rounds at all.  Right now in all of Ansteorra there are really
only 5 branches submitting scores regularly.  Three in the North, one in
Central, and one in Coastal.

there are probably many reasons to be heard as why this marshal or that group " can't  " turn in royal round scores , but i see it  as some marshals just don't really want to plan in advance , or do paperwork , etc, its much easier to just do " fun shoots " so the marshal can play too , instead of recording scores , seeing who needs royal round tassels , planning away score trips , etc , .
i believe something i saw on another list may be completly trueor at least mostly true.
we expect our marshals to be both leaders , and marshals , and most people just arent interested in being both, or are just not able personality wise , to do both jobs. this doesn't mean that they are any less valuable to the missile community , or the society, it just means that perhaps we should be looking for leaders to lead , and let the marshals marshal ??

( ya know , if i keep putting in my 2 pence worth , i'll be broke by the weekend ; )

be safe, be happy, have fun
arthur