[Ansteorra-archery] on the use of archers

Eric Brown caladin at io.com
Mon Feb 16 22:25:16 PST 2009

Not to put too fine a point on it, I believe the original question
specified that you'd be operating as massed snipers/skirmishers (not
massed fire), in an unexposed position, for a portion of the beginning
of one battle in one scenario. So while interesting this sub thread is
not exactly addressing the question I was hoping to get answered, (not
that you should stop discussing it, just trying to refocus a little)

Anyone else care to venture an opinion on whether it sounds like fun to
them, personally, not speaking for anyone else?

Come on Y'all, you're not going to hurt my feelings with a no, nor with
a yes, I genuinely wanted to know if it was worth pursuing with larger
numbers, I'm probably going to pursue it in some form, even if it's only
a handful of archers, because I can think of that many who'd probably go
for it when I gave them the real details, but if y'all wanted to try
something different in a bigger way, I'd need your .. well, consent.

To be more clear, (and a little more detail) You'd be in a position
where you did not have to worry about getting rushed and run over, each
firing aimed shots, but in larger numbers(ergo hopefully larger volume)
at a specific section on the field where you'd have a decent to good
chance of having a huge effect on the battle in a brief period of time.
Specifically the only genuinely "new" skill you would have to master is
taking turns up front to fire, falling back to load (if the front gets
small enough)... Something I think you are all perfectly capable of
doing. Nothing fancy or baroque, I'm a big fan of the KISS School. My
Philosophy in battle plans usually boils down to put the right folks in
the right place, with only general guidelines, and count on them to do
the right thing at the right time.

Several people specifically asked me to try to find ways to use the
archers in a more massed way and in interesting and unusual ways,
specifically not just "30 foot spears". Should I just drop the whole
line of pursuit? Am I wasting my time trying to give folks what I
thought they asked for? Many people asked me to listen to the archery
community, and let you have a voice.

This is your big opportunity, speak, or else I'll have to assume I've
heard all there is to hear, something I strongly doubt is true.

Thanks,

Caladin-