[Ansteorra-archery] need some info..

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Sat Feb 14 23:03:31 PST 2009

That is pretty typical.  A little short.

The measure of the distance from the prod to the string at rest is the
called the brace height just like on a bow.  A typical brace height for
most SCA/Iolo/Darkwood/Alchem prods is around 3.5 inches.

The measure of the distance from the string at rest to the nut/lock (the
length of string travel)  is called the power stroke.  For most
SCA/Iolo/Darkwood/Alchem prods that is about 8 inches.

So 11" is about right with a slightly reduced power stroke.

I am curious, why do you want a lighter prod?  Most people will find a
45# prod intolerably light.  In fact most target archers if they have
separate target and combat bows and  have their druthers would use a
prod for target shooting that is heavier that they would want or would
be allowed to combat.  80# prod is a great weight for target shooting.

I honestly don't know where you are going to find a decent 45# crossbow
prod, a prod that light is too light for combat and way lighter than
almost anyone would consider using for target archery. The 80# you have
is well suited for most  SCA target archery.

If you seriously want a 45#  prod then you are likely going to have to
get someone to custom craft one for you.

Regards,

-EA