[Ansteorra-archery] Combat Archery in Bonwicke

Ld. Cian Rhys Gravenor metaldog00 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 20 13:01:22 PDT 2012

Greetings Francois,

I'm really glad to hear that more and more people are getting interested in the most period aspect of what we do in combat in the SCA. You could recruit equip fighters with a bow or crossbow and that's not a bad idea. When they run out of ammunition they can still pick up a sword and board or spear and continue to fight. It would also be a good idea to have dedicated archers who are experienced shooters. The kill/death ratio is much in favor of the archer.

Myself, I prefer crossbow but there are advantages to both it and the bow as well. The chief advantage is cost. You might be able to find a cheap 30lb bow for low cost but the ammo is more expensive. And might be more difficult to get the kill if you find yourself in a crush. You can make a decent crossbow for around $80 and the ammo is cheaper because the bolt shafts are half the length of arrows. I recommend fathead blunts over the marshmallows of doom, btw.

Practicing with a shield man is a must. Another good thing to have is someone with spear hook that can grab a shield and create an opening for the archer.

If you have more questions, ask away.  Good luck and have fun.

HL Cian
The kingdom of Ansteorra.

Sent from my iPhone