[Ansteorra-archery] An Idea from an Old Fart was Re: Royal Huntsman - Special Tourney Rules***

Ld.blackmoon ld.blackmoon at cox.net
Wed Feb 15 18:42:09 PST 2012

greetings

which is why it may be time to look at discussion on separating the two
communities .
the combat archers have spent years trying to grow their community, to get
away from the " target archery " image ,to earn the respect of the heavy
weapons community.
yes , a lot of combat archers come from the target archery community , but
by no means all of them do.
while they have grown greatly in number,and their level of respect among
ansteorran heavy communities has risen greatly , they are still not often
given the acclaim and word fame that say spearmen , or shield men are
accorded.
this seems to have led to the combat archery community falling back on the
target archers for support , which puts them right back in the " target
archery " image they have been fighting to avoid.
while they are on the field of war surrounded by knights, and crowns, and
other heavy weapons fighters , they are given ample opportunities to shine
and display their skill ( how many kingdoms have plate is proof, or face
shot only rules ?? )
they deserve all the word fame anyone can give them, I know I couldn't hit a
four inch square at 30 yards on a moving target with what safety allows for
combat archery equipment . as has been stated , its a whole different skill
set, different mind set, etc.

in ansteorra, the royal huntsman tourney has traditionally been the only
time many crowns set foot on a range, and spend most of one whole day
watching the target archers.
who are called on at war to do things like team up with another archer,(
with out prior practice teaming ) and while one shoots the balloon, the
other has to put an arrow in the picture frame to stop it from falling after
the balloon is hit .......
or spend an entire day running the ranges, or compete with other kingdoms
best archers .

is there a simple answer ? someone smarter than I may know, but perhaps by
politely discussing the possibilities, we can come to some kind of agreement
on what might work ,and then suggest it to the crowns for further thought
???

Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
Arthur