[Ansteorra-archery] Royal Rounds at Events

Patrick R tex_yankee2004 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 16 20:59:52 PDT 2013

Last fall we had our first Royal Round as part of our fall
baronial. It helps our Baron is an archer and wanted to include Royal Rounds in
the scoring to determine the finalists. We were given the ground we needed and
it all went well. Of course that is not the normal since most events have a
time schedule that gets all messed up right after morning court. While I enjoy
running tournaments, the most rewarding thing to me is the open shooting time
we include in our events. With our loaner equipment people will stop by and try
archery for the first time and in many cases be hooked on it for good. We are
lucky to have several marshals as well as visiting marshals who volunteer to
help since the range is running most of the day. We invite people to complete Royal
Rounds during the open shoot and to my surprise it is not that difficult to incorporate.
My point is include an open shoot time and if you have the land (and some
marshalling help) it is fairly easy to include Royal rounds most of the day.
As a community we need to become more of a presence at
events. Push it at the gate and pester the Heralds to push it during the event.
Have people walking around with bows and getting people to come to your open
shoot. Since we are the priority for most events we lose the time battle. Every
time court runs long by either an overly talkative crown, late arrival or hung
over we are the event that suffers. I try to push to have an open shoot time
before the tournament just in case since if we are scheduled to run 10-12 and
court was runs an hour over causing us to start at 11 we are still expected to
be finished by 12 in many cases. I have been to events where the competition
was reduced from two hours to one because of time and another that was cut
short because one shooter was needed to go to the Noble’s lunch (he did not
want to go but they forced the completion to end) and the irony is the event
was a bear pit that ran less than an hour and a half. If we become a presence we
will get more respect and more resources at events. If you are running an event
please put out a notice and ask if there are any marshals who would like to
help you on the range.
Dante