[Ansteorra-archery] Archery as a Peer area under A&S.

Sebastian sebastianf at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 9 12:10:45 PDT 2013

Francois;

     I applaud your drive and desire for recognition for the Archery community.  Please understand that this although extremely rare is not not new ground.  Master Leon Donne was elevated to the Laurel for Archery crafts in 1993.  I believe there was a female also elevated but I cannot remember her name.
     That said, please enter your crafts in the A&S competitions.  Let people know that we are skilled in more than just "flinging skinny sticks down range".  May I also highly recommend that we spend more time in the SCA doing none archery things.  As some have already pushed for, show service to our kingdom, don't spend entire events at the Archery Range.  Do field heraldry for the fighters, get authorized to be a Marshal for one or both styles of fighting, work the gate at an event etc.
     Most all of the upper level awards require you to show an interest or ability in something other than your specialty.  The archery community seems to be one of the exceptions.  Many of our archers have been rewarded for their actions in the archery community with little or no exposure elsewhere.  Do not be that person, serve the Kingdom and show support for the SCA as a combined community.
     I have over the years spoken to Laurels in this Kingdom about recognizing the "Art & Science" (science in particular) of the knowledge and skills required to shoot well in archery.  This has meet with great resistance.  Please give this some thought and let me know what you think.  Am I on Target ;) or totally off the mark?

Yours In Service
Don Sebastian Frobishire CAO
Seneschal
Barony of Elfsea