[Ansteorra-archery] Archery as a Peer area under A&S.

Doug Copley doug.copley at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 12:48:22 PDT 2013

I do agree that we need to continually work on it. The job of recognition
is not Peers, or TRMs or B&Bs, it is all of our jobs. If you see someone
with an armguard that they tooled and made and a quiver, and boots, make a
note of it. If you see someone with period arrows that they actually used
horn to reinforce and they are competing with them, talk with them and make
sure that they made them, and make a note of it. If you see someone with
clothing, or bow, or crossbow, that they made, make a note of it. When you
get home - spend 5 minutes and look them up on the OP (Order of Precedence)
and see if they have an award for it or what awards they have, then spend
10 minutes writing it up. If they don't get it within 6 months - do it
again! WE are the ones that are responsible to make sure they are
recognized, go to the B&B, go to TRMs talk to your friends and have them
write it up as well, if they want to. The more recognition the community
gets the more attention they will get from the people in those positions.

I have spent many hours studying this and talking with peers about it. One
of the biggest things that I run in to again and again is that they say yes
you can become a peer in archery - make stuff, document, enter, win, teach
others how to make stuff - the problem is that everything that they talk
about is something that can be done without ever picking up a bow or even
going to the range. So there is a big education process to go through
before we will get there in Ansteorra.

Most importantly, do not do anything for the sake of an award, do it
because it is what you want to do! There are people that chase awards all
of the time and at the end they are tired and burnt out and have spent 10
years doing something that they did not want to do and in the end they get
an award that will not even buy them a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Then
they find out that it is not some magic wand and that they do not suddenly
get some huge amount or awe and respect when they walk in to an area and
they quit. There are many people that are not peers that I respect a great
deal. Some of them may one day become peers and some may never become
peers, but they have EARNED my respect for what they have done.

If you want to fight, shoot, display, or whatever do it. Be happy, have
friends, play, laugh, joke. I have been asked by the Crown before when
talking about someone, "Are they Archers who just happen to be in the SCA,
or are they in the SCA and just happen to be Archers?" It may sound the
same but there is a world of difference. If all you do is go to the range,
hang out at the range, skip court, don't go to bardic, don't go to the
parties, and only go to events with archery then how are you building the
community? Go to Court, make sure people know that there was Archery this
day and that it was great and it was fun. Help out when and where you can.
Go to an event with NO archery, teach classes, sit gate, help with feast,
do some entourage,

I believe that we are making progress in Ansteorra and that one day there
will be a peerage for Archery. But I did not join the SCA to become a peer
(whatever that meant), I joined because of fun, friends, and archery:-)

Just my 4 cents!

Vincenti da Murano
Ansteorra