[Ansteorra-archery] Period Long bow

Ld.blackmoon ld.blackmoon at cox.net
Thu Sep 12 14:41:42 PDT 2013

greetings

 thank you for the input; )
but I never buy Osage online. I hand pick my staves, when I'm not teaching how to read the bark on living trees, or teaching how to take a bow from tree to range.
one secret about Osage, especially for novice bowyers, don't grab the stave with the smallest growth rings, or the largest growth rings.
smallest are a real pain to actually get down to just one growth ring for the entire bow. and large growth rings can be weaker .
also if you want a perfectly straight bow with perfectly straight limbs, don't use Osage, few staves are " perfect" most will produce " character " bows.
that being said, I am currently shooting a  42 # @ 28 " character Osage selfbow . it twists and turns side to side, but the limbs do not rotate.
I am thinking about making a bamboo backed Osage  as my next bow though ; )
on " over draw"  always be careful , selfbows aren't very forgiving about that, if they were tillered for a certain weight  @ 28 " , then 28 " is what they perform best at, and anything more increases the chance of damaging the bow.  my Osage was tillered at 32"  , but my arthritis says I'm not going to be pulling heavy bows anymore, and even complains about 42 # @28 , I'm hoping that with practice , and using the therapy exercises, I will be able to shoot a full royal round soon ; )
where are you located? and how much are your Osage staves running ?

Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
Arthur