[Ansteorra-archery] Period Long bow

Patrick R tex_yankee2004 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 12 08:51:55 PDT 2013

I have only worked a handful of Osage so I am not an expert
on the wood. I found the biggest problem I had with it was because of fear of
making too much of an adjustment at one time. The wood costs more so you want
to be careful. It could have been because of fear but I found it did not take a
lot of tillering to make a significant change in the bow. The Osage staves I
looked at on the webpage looked they will take a lot of work to make into a
good bow that bends equally. The grain on some of them was nice while others I would
have found questionable. It seems what you are paying the high price for is
because they were all cut by  hand from
trees and not in planks at a lumber yard. They can make a pretty bow but I would
be hesitant to shoot most of them since some looked like they would twist. I
have seen staves where the grain looked perfect and they still blow up when you
put them on the stick to mark them for adjustments. In my opinion you would be
taking a big risk a small chance of success. If for no other reason than the
price of the wood I would suggest backing an Osage bow. It will allow for a
slight overdraw as well as fly faster.
Dante