[Ansteorra-chirurgeon] Training opportunities

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Wed Mar 7 09:24:59 PST 2007

Please note the classes we are putting on at events are not held by the SCA.
That is important because the Board does not want to be in the position of
certifying individuals. They want an external group to do that.

In Ansteorra, we have a Training Deputy who works for the KC who organizes
all sorts of training including CPR and First Aid certification classes. Any
vendor who provides training acceptable to the SCA for Chirurgeon warranting
may work with that Deputy to schedule courses which she then promotes. To
date only Software Innovation, an ASHI training center owned by me, has
chosen to work with her, but any vendor is welcome. A similar structure is
used at Gulf War and at Pennsic.

That said, Software Innovation, though it is a for-profit company, provides
the certification courses at roughly our cost and the instructors donate
their time when teaching at SCA events. We also teach at businesses and
other places and when we do that our teachers are paid and the cost of the
course it higher. We also, with the permission of ASHI, base our examples in
the SCA world when we teach SCA people. Finally, we teach only CPR-PRO and
BLS first aid, the versions required for a first level professional. The
differences are in adding two person skills, the use of oxygen and BVMs, and
a few other skills in CPR. In first aid, we usually have more hands on
training than the basic courses.

In service,
Caelin on Andrede
mka: Richard Threlkeld, President of Software Innovation, an ASHI Training
Center

  _____