[Ansteorra-chirurgeon] Hydration

Gavin MacGiollaRua ldgavin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 15:02:15 PDT 2008

Found this on another list...

<http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/diet.fitness/08/26/cl.get.fluids/index.html>
is an interesting article on getting enough water.  It mentions, in
part, that food provide more or less water (depending on type and
cooking).  I was also struck by these paragraphs:

   Caffeine considerations

   You may have heard about the dehydrating effects of caffeine. But
   leading health authorities including the Institute of Medicine and
   the American College of Sports Medicine say that's a myth. While
   caffeine does signal our kidneys to rid our bodies of excess
   water, it does so for only a short time, so we still retain more
   fluid than we lose after sipping a caffeinated beverage.

   The Institute of Medicine reports caffeinated beverages contribute
   to our daily water needs as much as noncaffeinated drinks. In a
   study published in 2007 in the International Journal of Sport
   Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, when researchers asked cyclists
   to bike for two-plus hours under hot, humid conditions, they found
   a caffeine-infused sports drink was as hydrating as a traditional
   sports drink.