[Ansteorra-marshals] Rawhide swords

Andreas von Meißen scamiz at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 00:39:56 PST 2016

A better test would be a cantilever beam flex test, like used for rapiers.
Also, as tape leaves a residue and doesn't come off easily, a better order
would be 1) bare, 2) rawhide, 3) tape.
You'd also need to do several sticks of a range of lengths and degree of
shavedness to get several data points.
So yeah. Science.

-- Andreas, who is grading structural dynamics lab reports and has such
things on his mind.

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 11:25 PM, Chuck Kaun <jack_a_lope31 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Instead of arguing about this, someone do an experiment.  Take a piece of
> rattan, suspend it from its ends with a weight hanging from the center and
> measure its flex from straight.  Wrap it in tape and repeat, remove the
> tape then repeat again with leather.  If there is no appreciable difference
> between tape and leather, I don't see the problem.  SCIENCE!
>
> Karl Thorgeirsson
> Sent from my iPad
>
> > On Feb 24, 2016, at 18:28, Jay Rudin <rudin at peoplepc.com> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, and metal has been approved for hilts. That doesn't mean any metal
> can be used in any way.
> >
> > Rawhide and regular leather have different characteristics, and would
> need to be approved separately.
> >
> > In any event, the rules also state that "Rattan shall not be treated in
> any way that will substantially reduce its flexibility."
> >
> > If somebody has tested rattan shrink-wrapped in rawhide for flexibility,
> all we need is the results of that test. Or if some Earl Marshal has
> approved them, all we need is evidence of it.
> >
> > Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin

Andrew R. Mizener / Don Andreas von Meißen
Rowel Pursuivant, Kingdom of Ansteorra
« Qui quærit, invenit »