[Ansteorra-marshals] Rawhide swords

ulsted at juno.com ulsted at juno.com
Fri Feb 26 10:19:45 PST 2016

Argh - my hoarding has failed me...  I now only have the 2006 Marshal Handbook, having *just* thrown out my handbooks from the 90's. For those who have been around a *really* long time - the weapons standards part used to explicitly list rattan, leather, and foam as 'approved materials' for construction (and rawhide was understood as leather).  With the 2006 update (I think), that list was removed, but as I recall some of the discussions at the time, the intent was *not* to make existing weapons illegal.  I used a rawhide covered sword in the late '80s.  But all weapons went through the "don't be an idiot" test - so the mace made out of nothing but rolled rawhide (you know, a finishing hammer) was banned. So, we never really thought to run a rawhide cover through an 'experiment' since it was already allowed. Is that a better explanation of the "we've always done that"? :) Ulsted