[Ansteorra-MiddleEastern] Re: use of vizier/viziera

Keener, Susan R Susan.R.Keener at boeing.com
Wed Dec 8 12:01:42 PST 2004

There were some good points, I thought, in response to Clara's question about the use of Vizier/Viziera over on the SCA-MidEastMusicCulture group. Vizier was the term for a government civil-servant position, basically a prime minister. This sounds to me like it would be more like a seneschal position (?), than what would be appropriate for a Guild head. It would be cool to find out a period Middle Eastern term for the guild head, but until we can find that, why not just use "Guild Head"?
http://i-cias.com/e.o/vizier.htm

Sahirah

--- In SCA-MidEastMusicCulture at yahoogroups.com, "durr al-jabal al-
mukhfi" <dwarph at y...> wrote:

Salaam!

Vizer is generally used for minster of <insert office here>.

What you may want to use is syndic, such as syndic of the goldsmiths.

Salaam, Mukhtar (durr)
--- In SCA-MidEastMusicCulture at yahoogroups.com, Ghaythah al zarqa
<gelzarqa at y...> wrote:

--- Adrian Cabassa <adriancab at s...> wrote:

> While I do not know what the word would be for
> guildmaster, I do not think
> that vizier is appropriate. This is because there
> was no Vizier appointed to
> any guild in actual history. I'm not even sure if
> guilds existed as a whole
> in the Middle East.

I don't have teh book to hand, but there was a
soap-making guild in Jerusalem late in our period (I
think the book covered 16th cent).

Apparently you had teh building and the equipment,
bought teh olive oil and other supply, then contracted
with teh guild for the people to run the factory.

On another note, they were talking about olive trees
that had been there since teh Romans.  Yowsa!  I am
impressed with anything that lives a thousand years!

ghaythah al lovethatsoap bint tayyib