[Ansteorra-missile] Re: [Ansteorra-archery] Eadric and Guantlets

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Thu May 1 19:49:34 PDT 2003

Well, Once again I have mixed feelings.

You are correct that fingers are easy to break and less protection we
require, the more likely it is that there will be broken fingers.

I know it is possible to work perfectly well with a full gauntlet on your
bow hand.  I also know it is possible to use a crossbow effectively with two
full gauntlets and Kydex Gauntlets don't seem to be offering any hazard of
cutting strings.

On the other hand I believe in personal choice when possible.

I can choose to wrap my hand in titanium full gauntlets if I want.

We all signed waivers and we all choose to show up on the field in our armor
knowing the risks.

If I choose to take the field with two half-gauntlets, the only persons who
hands are at risk are my own and I knew that when I walked the field.

If I choose to get in close to the swinging rattan then I know it is likely
I will get hit.  If I am worried for my safety then I can stay well back and
be a non-contact archer.

I have not mentioned that there will be any changes to the armor
requirements for archers in Ansteorra.  There will be changes at the Society
Level soon but we already require more than Society will require and we may
not change a thing.  On the other hand I have asked my deputies for comments
and it would not be responsible for us not to consider options when they are
presented to us.

Regards,

Lord Eadric Anstapa
Kingdom Archery Marshal, Ansteorra