[Ansteorra-missile] Combat Crossbow Question

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Wed Jan 28 20:18:08 PST 2004

HL Agnarr Thorvaldsson wrote:

>Hey Eadric
>
>Since your online...  At King's roundtable, the Kingdom Earl Marshal stated something in the GOoS meeting about 800lb for X-bows.  Is this a new poundage for all x-bows or only for those x-bows that fire Siloflex / golftube / Fellwalker type bolts?  I'm curious as I currently have 35 crossbows in various stages of construction and I want to make certain that they meet Kingdom standards before I have to redo the prods.
>
>Thanks
>
>HL Agnarr Thorvaldsson

The Ansteorran limit is still 600 Inch-Pounds for any crossbow.  Which
is the SCA limit for anything that shoots thin shafted ammo.  These
would typically be referred to as "light" crossbows.  We don't have any
plans to change our standards anytime soon.

Gulf Wars conventions also have a limit that "light" crossbow may not
exceed 75#.  So while a 80# @ 7.5" xbow would be legal in Ansteorra (and
other place) it would not be legal at Gulf War (or in Trimaris).  This
is the third year that this restriction has been is place because there
where excessive complaints of bolts hitting way too hard and bruising
too much (with certain ammo).

The SCA standard for "heavy" crossbows  or those that shoot siloflex and
golf tube arrows  is 1000 Inch-Pounds.  Gulf Wars as additional limits
that these "heavy" bows may not exceed  800 Inch-Pounds or 90#.  These
additional restrictions where placed on heavy bows this year because we
had too many complaints last year from  people getting shot with
siloflex/omarad crossbow bolts last year.  This new restriction is what
Sir Randall was referencing.  The complaints came primarily from the
Trimarians because all the heavy bows were on our side last year  but I
don,t blame them.  I don't wanna get hit with those things either.

The Gulf War rules are available online  at

http://www.gulfwars.org/combatarchery.html

if you have any questions of if anything is unclear  PLEASE ask.

Regards,

--

HL Eadric Anstapa
Ansteorra