[Ansteorra-missile] Re: uhmw blunts

Kingdom Archery Marshal Archery_Marshal at ansteorra.org
Sun Sep 12 19:01:41 PDT 2004

matt gelm wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have a few questions about fiberglass crossbow bolts for gw14. What
> can i use as abd for a uhmw blunt?

Well, we dont like the term ABD.  The term to use is APD.  Bounceback is
good, penetration is bad.

For APDs on fiberglass bolts or arrows you can use any of the siloflex
designs approved for use.  Examples are at:
http://www.combat-archery.com/100160apd.htm
http://www.combat-archery.com/7580psi.htm

Or you can use a Golf Tube APD.  Examples at
http://www.combat-archery.com/gtapd.htm

Or you can use the commercial Asgard APD which you can buy from
http://www.northstararchery.com

For crossbows I recommend either the commercial Asgard APD or the
Square-cut routed channel 160PSI siloflex design.

> On the blunt, does it have to have that taper to the shaft, or can it
> be a solid 2'' long by 1.25'' wide like a marshmellow ?

The blunt does not have to be a tapered UHMW blunt  core does it have to
be 2" long.  The UHMW core can only be 1" long with a 0.5" deep hole
drilled for the shaft and leaving  0.5" of solid UHMW in front of the shaft.

There are some good links via the manuals and reference page on
http://archery.ansteorra.org look at Vivaines pages for some pretty good
directions on how to make bolts as well as some good pictures.  Likewise
there are some articles from various AoBs, etc that will be of help.

Regards,

--
HL Eadric Anstapa
Kingdom Archery Marshal, Ansteorra