[Ansteorra-missile] Type of Siloflex APD

John Moore iaenmor at swbell.net
Fri Oct 7 19:30:54 PDT 2005

Hmm, lets see.  Having worked with several designs here is my input.

External Tab:
Most difficult to make as the tabs have to cut after cutting to length
needed.  The angle cuts can be a bit of pain as you are switching back and
forth with your saw.  More to difficult to round over edges properly.
Fairly easy to attach.

Internal Tab:
Easier to cut but still have to deal with the angles.  Have to cut the tabs
in afterwards.  The most difficult to attach having to hold the thing and
wrap the tape at the same time.  Still difficult to round over the edges but
easier than the external type .

Straight with routed channel:
Easiest to cut, 2 90 degree cuts and done.  Best way to make routed channel
is a jig and a table router.  You can do 5' lengths real easy if you set it
up right.  I do mine before I cut them and do them in large enough pieces to
handle easily.  Rounding edges really easy if you have a dremel tool and
1/8th router bit.  Attaching can be done easily, run a bead of hot melt glue
down the channel and stick it to the shaft.  Set it aside and do the next of
a bunch.  Tape them all at one time.  Kinda assembly line like.  Also uses
the least amount of material.

Flight:  I have not noticed much of a difference in any of the styles.  They
all work as a ringfoil in flight.  Actually they seem to fly as good if not
better than fletches.

Iaen
John Moore