[Ansteorra-missile] Re: Ansteorra-missile Digest, Vol 25, Issue 4

Mike meggiddo at netzero.net
Sat Sep 10 11:42:40 PDT 2005

Hi, Robin and everyone else.

First, I not upset nor did I take offense with your reply and I hope
that you do not with my reply, which is not my intent here.  I get this
type of respond all the time and I have tried to explain my thought
process about this issue and it is more complex than what it appears to
be on the surface.

It can be best sum up in a couple of  words - Honorable  and being
Courteous or perhaps it is more correct to state being Chivalric.

It does look and even more importantly sounds strange to for me to be
watching one of my arrows travel down range, instead of reloading and
getting ready to to shoot again. There is extremely important reason on
own my part to do so. It even more importantly to me as fighter whose
weapon is the bow, rather than that of a sword and shield. The simple
reason is one of honor and courtesy or being Chivalric on my part to be
able to response back to my intended target with perfect honesty that I
know exactly where my arrow had hit them.

And yes, I have waved fighters back onto the field when they have looked
at me for verification and even more importantly when they HAD NOT asked
and just  assumed that the arrow had been hit in a "good" or legal
target area and assumed that arrow had hit true and just started walk
off the field. This is especially true if the arrow had hit their helms.

I much rather be certain that the "kill" was good not only in my
intended target's mind, but more importantly in my eyes and mind. So, if
there is any doubt in my mind, then I will signal to the fighter in
question and even to the opposing side to get them to stop that fighter
from walking off the field. I have done this since day one of stepping
out on a SCA battlefield and I will continue to do so!

It has confused any number of fighters and even been surprising to a
good many of them that I, CA, would wave them back onto the field rather
than let them walk off the field, yet it has also been welcome and I
have received far more honor from any of my intended targets when I do
have done so - which is far better than any type of award or recognition
one could hope for anywhere.

Then on the hand - I have to ask -
"Are you just messing with me?" :-)

Take care,