[Ansteorra-missile] Re: Ansteorra-missile Digest, Vol 25, Issue 7

Mike meggiddo at netzero.net
Wed Sep 14 15:44:22 PDT 2005

1st paragraph - Huge difference in philosophy and if I am asked why you
do not provide
 feedback - I now have an answer - "He does not worry about his arrows
once they have leave his bow."

2n paragraph - everyone has frustrations and everyone will get over it.
Like Gillie has
stated "just shoot more arrows". And I do not keep track of how many
arrows results
 in "kills" or even "wounds", never saw the point. The only thing that I
track is how often
 I provide feedback, either when a fighter asked for validation of a
arrow strike or
for waving them back  on to the field because the arrow strike was not
valid!

3rd paragraph - I never stated that I was experiencing a mis-fire
problem, never had one.
Here is the portion of the paragraph that brings up "Mis-fires":
....nor as some have suggested that one should use the back of APD's as
the lock -
which has it's own distinct issues and/or concerns which have been
discuss about
the Hugh percentage of mis-fires. ....

Both of the individuals who have and continue to be mentors to me would
NOT have
allowed such an issue or problem to continue for all this time.
The 1st mentor was Lady Isolda Vogelsang who provided my initial
training as a
Combat Archer in the early years and was my sponsor in the one of the
two groups
 that I have been a member of since 1999,  when I joined the SCA.
The 1st  group - the Fray - left to join the Condottieri
The 2nd group - the Condottieri.

Lady Isolda as my mentor up till 4th Quarter of 2004, plus Lord
CinaedOHosey, he continues
to this day. Both of them would have ensure that I would not could to
have such issues.

Michael Kettering

Robin Allen wrote:

> There's a lot ot cover here and a lot of it depends on one's
> philosophy of the game. My approach is that I'm out there to have fun
> and to assist my side in the battle.So I don't worry about an arrow
> once its on its way down range. If the subjct (victim) feels the hit
> and calls it then all the better but I'm usually reloading and moving
> so I may not see it. If he doesn't feel it then he isn't obliged to
> call it and there is no dishonor in that. If he knows it is good and
> doesn't call it then it his honor not mine that's in jeapardy. As for
> those time when the recepient isn't sure, well, if I see it isn't good
> I let him know if I can. There is a lot of confusion out there on the
> field and there are bound to be honest mistakes so I don't fret the
> small stuff.
>    It is a sorce of frustration for many archers to see a good shot
> not be called by a fighter but I would argue that our ratio of
> missed, close but not quite, good but not called, and "got him!" is
> equivalent to a swordsman or a spearman. A swordsman will strike many
> blows and most of them will be blocked or missed or light. Only a few
> will be  kill shots. I think if you examined the number in each
> category you would fing it equivalent to what an archer experiences.
> Its a little bit more of a nuisance for us as we have to reload after
> each shot. It takes seconds for us to deliver three shots while only a
> fraction of that time for a swordsman.
>   On the subject  of misfires my attitude is "So it misfired- reload
> and shoot again."   The reason the comment about reloading without
> looking at the string is a stock answer is because it has a geat deal
> of merit.  If your having trouble putting an arrow on the string I
> think the most likely problem will be the gloves you are wearing. I
> use baseball or sports gloves and they work great for me.
> Robin

<snip>